PRINCIPLE # 2: I NEED TO MANAGE ANGER APPROPRIATELY!
1. And He entered again into a synagogue; and a man was there with a withered hand.
2. And they were watching Him to see if He would heal him on the Sabbath, in order that they might accuse Him.
3. And He said to the man with the withered hand, “Rise and come forward!”
4. And He said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save or to kill?” But they kept silent.
5. And after looking at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored.
6. And the Pharisees went out and immediately began taking counsel with the Herodians against Him, as to how they might destroy Him.
PRINCIPLE: Jesus exhibited appropriate wrath and anger, which was prompted by grief and anger at the spiritual and emotional hardness of heart of the religious leaders.
DISCUSSION / MEDITATION QUESTIONS:
1. What is my personal control level of anger on a scale of 1-10?
2. Who are the targets / recipients of my anger?
3. What is the feeling inside that I feel just before I get angry with others?
4. If my anger is excessive, what damage am I causing?
5. In what way do I wish I could more resemble The Healthy Jesus?
6. I need to learn to be angry at the same things that anger God. Do the things that typically anger me fall into this type of category or am I just an irritable person? Where and when historically did I first begin to feel uncontrollable anger levels?
7. If I could look into the past and express my current anger levels toward another human being, who would it be?
8. Am I a person who never gets angry or if I do, never allowing it show on the outside? What has happened to my life as a result of not being able to display appropriate anger to those around me? How about to the lives of others?
Next Week’s lesson from the Healthy Jesus: “I need to invest into my family and others.”
Copyright © 2009 Milan and Kay Yerkovich